Strictly Vanilla 101

Sep 17, 18 17:45

SunnybrookOne

User

Dislikes: 0
Donated: 10

Hey guys, SunnybrookOne here~

After answering many of the same questions to new folks joining the server (again, and again...and again), I've decided it's high time to make some sort of reference I can point to that folks can read or watch to learn what makes our server unique. Though I'm a casual youtuber at best, I'm planning on presenting the best ones in video form in the future, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything too obvious.

General vanilla tips/tricks are welcome, but ones that refer to the SV meta are preferred, such as:

• There is an owner-approved hole in the nether roof at 0,0 - grab portal supplies and use it to roof-run quickly & portal down to theOverworld-coordinates of your choice~
  • Set your spawn point by sleeping in a bed (no sethome here, folks), I recommend 7-10 seconds to be safe, and make sure it's on solid, opaque blocks, with 1-2 blocks of space on either side, or else when you try to get home you might get the "Your bed was missing or obstructed" message/glitch and you'll end up back at spawn
  • Travel back to spawn for unique Villager/safe Player trading, costs 5 vote fish, ONE WAY TRIP
  • There are Ender Chests at spawn - most of them work
  • "Since we are a 100% vanilla server, and we do not have any mods or plugins to reduce lag, we ask our players to keep their creations as lag free and server friendly as possible."
  • "Overworld Gold Farms / Nether Portal Gold Farms are banned from use. All gold farms are to be in the Nether."
  • "Entity Limit is 300 per loaded area; If you see your entity count go over 300 in any section of your base your need to reduce the amount of entities in that area."
  • "Max Entity Cramming game rule is set to 100. This game rule prevents more than 100 entities from occupying a 1x1 area."
  • etc.

I'm not including ALL the one's I've already got, since I want to see what first comes to mind for some folks and want to leave some for the rest of you to bring up (which will also tell me if we have the same beginner-tips in mind).

Thanks a bunch, and I'll make sure to credit folks later if I like how you worded your tip and quote you in the video~

Sep 17, 18 18:08

JealousManPuppets

User

Donated: 20

I would add in something about griefing/raiding, as that (or so at least I've seen) has been asked about by a ton of new players.

Sep 17, 18 18:57

SunnybrookOne

User

I would add in something about griefing/raiding, as that (or so at least I've seen) has been asked about by a ton of new players.

Yup, that'd definitely be in there - it's key info that changes how you play the game, and every server treats it differently. Plus I think if someone took the time to read this post or watch a video about it, they deserve a leg up on the quiz~ ;)

Sep 17, 18 21:06

rflowers

User

Donated: 15

The griefing/raiding question does come up, but we can't answer it before they are through with the quiz. And then it comes up like they're incredulous.

There are Ender Chests at spawn - most of them work

Is there a tragic story behind this? :)

Sep 18, 18 2:41

SunnybrookOne

User

The griefing/raiding question does come up, but we can't answer it before they are through with the quiz. And then it comes up like they're incredulous.

Well that's the thing, this video isn't available ON the server in chat, so I don't consider it "Telling someone the quiz answers" - If someone goes to the effort to find and watch a video about the server they're going to join, they're going to get a lot of useful information in addition to that tidbit (though I'm planning on wording it carefully to imply, not outright say "Griefing is allowed on the server") so I think it's worth it.

There are Ender Chests at spawn - most of them work

Is there a tragic story behind this? :)

Nah, just a quick way to refer to the fact that some of the Echests just refuse to open/don't have the right permissions, and I spent ages like a dummy spamming the open button and wondering if the lag was JUST THAT BAD, before someone else told me yeah, that chest is a dud, go to another one. XD This might get fixed, so who knows

Sep 18, 18 16:56

kajmot

User

Donated: 0

One of the first important things players on the server need to know about, is the fish currency system. Players tend to ask how to get back to spawn right after leaving. They tend to join a few mins apart from their friend and have an annoying time getting together. If a player votes and banks before they wander off they will be able to get back to spawn a few times on their first day rather than needing to wait or walk to spawn. Knowing this might be quite usefull for newer players. Explaing where spawn is and the various ways of getting there might be good.  also players tend to ask how large the map is quite often so adding a part about that might be usefull for some. another frequent question is how old the map is and how often it wipes. This is all usefull info for  players looking for a new server.

Sep 18, 18 20:03

Saethar

User

Donated: 15

I'm not completely sure if this is worth it because if you think about it in the perspective of a new person to the server they might want to take time out of playing to go veiw these videos on how to play, ecspecially younger, more impatient players. I am willing to help with it though.

Sep 22, 18 17:22

UnitedStates1776

User

Dislikes: 10

This post has been removed.

Sep 23, 18 2:10

NaughtyBoyx

User

Dislikes: 2

This post has been removed.