Shopping area for the server!

Oct 20, 18 12:04

Foxy_Sinne

User

Dislikes: 0
Donated: 0

So I’ve been thinking about a shopping area that could potentially be done on the server where people can set up shops to sell certain things. The more I think about it, the more I realize that this would be really complexated to achieve. So I am going to list everything that I have thought of and solutions to those problems.

Where -  

I was thinking it would be really cool to make a gigantic floating island around spawn that has roughly 30 smaller islands that are about 5x5 - 10x10. The main part of the island itself could be in the shape of a dounut, so natural light can still get down to spawn. To get to the floating island, you could use a tp command similar to the one used to get to spawn.

Why -

This idea may seem a bit useless, but I believe it will give a chance to allow other people to experience other people’s builds in a fun and creative way. This would also allow for people to trade with each other while offline.

How -

Since the shop will be within spawn boundaries, that would prevent people from grieving other people’s shops. The problem with this is that I am not sure how people are going to be able to build in the plots if you aren’t allowed to grief, and I don’t know how the island is even going to get there with that. This is going to be a question that the admins will ultimately have an answer for. So IF it comes down to that, there would be a system where only the owner could get into the shop to gather the profits. So here is a senerio - A potential buyer walks across the bridge connecting the smaller island to the bigger island and looks at what the shop is selling. The buyer chooses to buy a stack of something and takes a stack from the chest and places the profit into a system that moves it. When the owner comes back, he could go to the back of the shop, take a piece of named paper with a password on it and open the door. (This would take some red stone, which would be a problem for people who aren’t fimiliar with red stone, but I could be in charge of that if it comes to it :). This would also require no commands). So the owner would then collect the profits and take the piece of paper with the password out of an output system that the paper would end up in.

Other info. -

So another dilemma I have run into is how would the plots be given to other players? I was thinking that it could be first come first serve, but that wouldn’t be fair to the newer people coming on the server. I was also thinking that maybe, it could be first come first serve, but if the vast majority of the server doesn’t find use in the shop, then that specific shop could be removed, allowing for a new person to sell their goods. Also, the plots could be sold for around 64 DB, I don’t know if that is too high or low, but it’s not important right now. To keep track of sells, you could have a book to keep track of sells and profit. Another thing that I thought of is that the go to the shop could cost less vote fish than to tp to spawn itself. This would encourage people to trade at the shop instead of the old fashion way, and it would also encourage more people to vote. I was thinking that teleporting to the shopping area could cost 5 while teleporting to spawn would cost 10 or so. The problem with this would be that there is nothing stoping people from jumping off the island down to spawn. Maybe fences might fix that.

So to summarize it, here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

-  Allows other people to interact with each other in a fun and creative way

-  It allows for offline trading

-  Would cost less to tp to the shop than to spawn, encouraging more people to vote

-  No pvp, grieving, or stealing

Cons:

-  Time consuming to build

-  Hard to do while keeping it strictly vanilla, or without lots of code

-  Still many questions unanswered

Remember, this is just a VERY ambitious idea that I have thought of. Feel free to add on to this if I missed something or anything I didn’t go over enough.

Oct 21, 18 7:04

SunnybrookOne

User

Donated: 10

As cool as it would be to have player-shops, I think it clashes with the "vanilla-singleplayer-but-multiplayer" spirit. If you were playing in a LAN game with your friends, you wouldn't set up shops that everyone could visit while they're elsewhere (unless you make one for fun out of redstone), you'd just ask them yourself and barter for it.

A big part of the vanilla experience that people come here for is the freedom we all have - for good or ill - to do whatever we want (within the rules - we ain't full-anarchy ^^; ). If you want to make a shop on SV, you advertise yourself in the trading channel/forums, be online when folks wanna buy, and meet up with them in game to trade. There's the risk that they'll try and cheat you and run away w/out giving you the goods, or the chance you trade fairly and make a new, trustworthy friend.

Having shops that enforce honesty with mechanics cheapens the honesty players show when it's not required.

Also, the methods you stated above do not seem foolproof, plus no way we'd give folks the permissions needed to build in  spawn (only admins have that) - etc. Biggest though is that there are other servers that do this better, "economy" servers, that use plugins that make it easier/more feasible than vanilla. It's not something suited for our server or the main reasons people play here, so why work so hard to add it? I say let SV do vanilla, and let economy servers do economy.

PS - if you REALLY want to make a shop that your SV friends can buy stuff from you at, consider joining our Strictly FTB server - it does have an at-spawn player owned shop-plot plugin that runs on votebucks.

Oct 21, 18 11:10

121Logger

User

Dislikes: 4
Donated: 40

very well summed up by sunny although you don't need to vote for the ftb shop system. currency is also earned through playtime

Oct 22, 18 22:06

SuperTomP

User

Its a very interesting idea but its very optimistic to assume that people taking the good would actually bother to put any diamonds in the chest.

I would be amazing if this worked but I doubt it will.

PS Did you get this idea from Hermitcraft? XD

Oct 23, 18 7:24

Foxy_Sinne

User

In a way yea, lol

Oct 25, 18 4:56

SunnybrookOne

User

Donated: 10

Yeah, I'd love to play on a Hermitcraft-like server, but I think it only works if the players involved all have a certain level of trust & stick to the honor system. Oh, and have less than 20 players total on the server.

More players, more problems, sadly...

You need to be logged in to make a reply

Version: 1.0.2

Created by DelviewHosts
Strictly Vanilla © 2018