Command block censorship

Feb 20, 19 17:54

Danila011202

User

Dislikes: 0
Donated: 0

Seeing the recent swearspam in chat, I began wondering if having a censorship system via the use of command blocks instead of manual labor would be possible. That is to say, if command blocks can be used to search for keywords in the chat and either replace them with a different word or remove them and instead by inserting a space. The idea is that if someone goes onto the server and spams swear words, it takes time for a mod or admin to clear the chat, either warn the person or ban him depending on the situation. By this point, however, if there are any children on at the time, they have a great chance to see the word being used. If command blocks can be used to censor this, I think that it will be a great step towards making the server more kid friendly and simultaneously ease the job of the moderators, warning team, and admins. I have been also notified of the possible problem of additional lag but I feel as if the pros outweigh the cons by a significant margin. 

Feb 20, 19 18:04

MrsSparklyBacon

Admin

Dislikes: 1

So I just talked to LordBacon. it is not possible unless we change the Jar.

it was a great idea but sadly it can't be done.

Lord Bacon will explain when he gets home in more detail. 

Feb 20, 19 21:44

SunnybrookOne

User

Donated: 10

Yeah, I asked the folks on the Minecraft Commands reddit and they said the same thing - though I was trying to figure out if we could use commands or a datapack to mute players who break chat rules - it's just not possible in vanilla yet. Which is why some servers use plugins instead. Sigh...just gotta do the best we can until they add it, I guess.

Feb 21, 19 20:13

Danila011202

User

unlucky

Feb 21, 19 21:56

ty88ty2

User

Dislikes: 11
Donated: 115

Even if it WAS possible, with the current state of optimization, the spamming of swears could quite easily crash the server as it would be too much for the system to handle. No evidence in that, just an educated guess.

Mar 06, 19 18:04

LordBaconite

User

Dislikes: 4
Donated: 10

Forgot to reply but better late than never.

Short answer, cant.

Its a very nice idea but unfortunately it's not possible in any compacity in vanilla, ill explain. 

Command blocks: Commandblocks do not have the ability to interact with chat in a "read" fashion. You can pump out the text to chat from command blocks but you cannot take input from chat. The instances in which u click a link in chat is seen by the game as you the player running the command, chat just suplys the syntax. So editing what someone says isn't possible.

The next thought is, well what about server side scripts independent of the jar, that's recently not modding, right?

Scripts: While recently not modding so would be allowed, chat is processed by the jar, the only thing a server-side script would be able to interact with regarding chat would be the game logs which reflect in chat and command output. However, the log is only populated with the content of a message after it has been sent in the game, so a script would be impossible to be used to secure chat unless we cleared the chat entirely every time a word is said. Which could be easily abused.

So the only way to accomplish a censor would be to mod the jar of the game itself, which we will not do. Even if we did add a mod to do this, it is a losing battle. Say we blacklist the plain text version of the Fbomb, all they would need to do is keep changing letters and ways of saying it. there are endless ways to say any given word, so any regular expression or MASSIVE list we could make would never fully accomplish the goal wanted.

You need to be logged in to make a reply

Version: 1.0.2

Created by DelviewHosts
Strictly Vanilla © 2019